Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sagacity is Such a Big Word and I Hate It

Assalamualaikum and a very good morning, afternoon, evening or night, since I cannot control when you readers read this post, and if I can, it would definitely be nighttime since I lurk in the dark and can easily stalk you from behind while you read and see if you smile or laugh at this little gesture that is too shameful to even be called a joke... and kill you if you don't. :)


Now, what can you imply from the above paragraph? Is it a joke? Am I being serious? Did you turn around to see if I was there? Was I there? *Dracula laugh*


Are you scared, little giirrrlllll...??



Anyway, some people may argue, saying that, "Dude, of course there is no way of knowing if you were fooling around or being serious, because, like, there are some real supernatural beings in this world that actually stalks people who read blogs from behind." 



Well, if you are that person, you are wrong. There are actually ways to understand and generate meaning from a sentence, via understanding of the implied meaning of an utterance in a certain context. The study of this theory is called 'Pragmatics'. Pragmatics asks the question of, "What do you mean by ___?", since one word or sentence can have multiple meanings based on the context surrounding a particular situation.



For example, let's say the President of the Student Representative Council tells me that I have to go and attend a one-month programme during the holidays, and I say;



"Great, that's exactly what I needed!" 

If you interpret my response semantically, you can infer that I am genuinely happy to get the job. However, humans rarely say what they mean, so you would need to analyze my words pragmatically, and read between the lines to understand my intended meaning, that I was actually being sarcastic because I love my holidays very much. I really do. Oh, and cupcakes. I love those too. 


In any case, I am a proud student from the Academy of Language Studies, studying English for Professional Communications, and I linguistic elements such as Pragmatics and Semantics, of which can only be described as the tip of the iceberg. This blog is made as part of a requirement for one of my subjects, and I will write, blabber and mumble about anything that crosses my mind on a daily basis so that I can get an A+ and make my parents proud... or at least my pet hamster.


Being a student of 'The Received Language', I can practically write on and on about anything, regardless if they make sense or not. In fact, everyone from my faculty can actually write blog posts that are worth kilometers of down-scrolling. However, I did get my medications so I am able to suppress those writing urges for another year or so. *cries*



MUST.... STOP..... WRITING......


Now, if you have been paying attention, you would already realise that I have written nothing about 'Sagacity', which is the title of this post and blog. If you had not realised that, it is clear for me and my pet hamster that you are lacking in analytical skills and you may have ADHD. ... Well, in your defense, if you had ADHD you wouldn't even make it to this paragraph. 


Well then, what is 'Sagacity'? By now you should already have Google'd the word, or you are still waiting for the definition from me. If it was the latter, you are currently piling up stress on the shoulders of us language students/practitioners by thinking that we know everything regarding English. Which is logically false. If i knew everything about English i would probably be a millionaire and have no time writing posts like this. And since all of us dream of becoming rich and all, sagacity would pretty much be a very important attribute in our daily lives.


Because 'Sagacity' is 'Wisdom'.

And you can go nowhere without it.

So from today onward, through a casual writing style, I will be sharing my Personal Sagacity with all of you, in an attempt to cultivate a healthy reading habit and improve our general command of English so that we can all reach 'Jannah', together InsyaAllah. 


Peace Out.


P/s: While attaining Jannah is cool and all, you could really help me out by pressing that "FOLLOW" button up there. Thanks. ;P Keep Smiling!

6 comments: